The American Cathedral in Paris
For more than 125 years the American Cathedral in Paris has been a center of worship for English-speakers abroad. Located near the Seine in the heart of one of the world's most beautiful cities, it numbers in its parish congregation Americans, French, and Britons as well as many other Europeans, Asians, Africans and Latin Americans, all of many denominations. Permanent parishioners total about 400 and their numbers are considerably augmented by students, tourists and business people here on shorter-term assignments.
Classified as a historic monument, the Cathedral's building was consecrated on Thanksgiving Day in 1886, but its roots go back to the 1830's, when American Episcopalians began gathering for formal worship. Though its roots are old, its outlook is young. Over the last two decades, the Cathedral has broadened and extended its vast range of ministries to meet the changing needs of a changing world. The Cathedral has expanded its outreach, from the local and national community to other nations in Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
As a Cathedral, we serve as the gathering church and "mother church" for the Convocation of Episcopal Churches in Europe, which includes nine lively and thriving parishes and several missions located throughout Western Europe. The Convocation is under the jurisdiction of The Episcopal Church in the United States and is part of the worldwide Anglican Communion. As a Cathedral, we are the seat for the Convocation's Bishop-in-Charge, the Right Reverend Pierre Whalon.